Three weeks have now passed in the prestigious interclub Caro Bowl Tennis competition, with three local clubs taking part.
The Caro Bowl is a rose bowl that was donated to the Auckland Tennis Association by the family of the late Maurice S. Caro who was killed in action at the First Battle of Somme in 1916.
Maurice Caro was an all-round sportsman and avid tennis player.
The Caro Bowl was first held in 1919 and is one of the oldest competitions in New Zealand. It is the top interclub trophy played for in the Tennis Auckland competition and has historically attracted the best players.
Cockle Bay Tennis Club is the only east Auckland side competing in the men’s tournament this year.
They have a strong side made up of James Meredith, Finley Hall, Gillan Osmont and club coach Justin Vissier.
Cockle Bay is also taking part in the women’s competition alongside Bucklands Beach and Pakuranga.
After five rounds in the men’s competition, Cockle Bay is placed second, just one point behind leaders Parnell.
Meanwhile in the women’s competition, Bucklands Beach is in third place with 22 points, Cockle Bay fourth with 21 points and Pakuranga is in seventh with eight points after four rounds.
Full draws, venues and individual results are available in the Caro Bowl section at www.tennisauckland.co.nz
Caro Bowl men’s results
Round 1 (October 27)- Cockle Bay defeated Remuera- 4 matches to 2
Round 2 (October 29)- Cockle Bay lost to Parnell- 2 matches to 4
Round 3 (November 3)- Cockle Bay defeated Karaka- 6 matches to 0
Round 4 (November 10)- Cockle Bay defeated East Tamaki- 6 matches to 0
Round 5 (November 12) Cockle Bay defeated Blockhouse Bay- 5 matches to 1
Caro Bowl women’s results
Round 1 (October 27)
- Bucklands Beach defeated Campbell Park- 6 matches to 0
- Cockle Bay lost to Parnell- 2 matches to 4
- Pakuranga lost to Next Generation- 1 match to 5
Round 2 (November 3)
- Bucklands Beach defeated Kohimarama – 4 matches to 2
- Cockle Bay defeated Campbell Park- 6 matches to 0
- Pakuranga lost to Parnell- 0 matches to 6
Round 3 (November 5)
- Bucklands Beach lost to Cockle Bay- 2 matches to 4
- Pakuranga defeated Campbell Park
Round 4 (November 10)
- Bucklands Beach defeated Pakuranga – 4 matches to 2
- Cockle Bay defeated Kohimarama
Upcoming Caro Bowl fixtures:
Round 6 (Friday November 17)
- Cockle Bay vs Royal Oak at Royal Oak Racquets Club, 6pm.
Round 7 (Friday November 24)
- Cockle Bay vs Next Generation at Next Gen Auckland Domain, 6pm.
Round 5 (Friday November 17)
- Bucklands Beach vs Royal Oak at Bucklands Beach Tennis Club, 6pm.
- Cockle Bay vs Pakuranga at Cockle Bay Tennis Club, 6pm.
Round 6 (Sunday November 19)
- Bucklands Beach vs Next Generation at Next Gen Auckland Domain, 12.30pm.
- Cockle Bay vs Royal Oak at Royal Oak Racquets Club, 12.30pm.
- Pakuranga vs Kohimarama at Kohimarama Tennis Club, 12.30pm.
Round 7 (Friday November 24)
- Bucklands Beach vs Parnell at Parnell Lawn Tennis Club, 6pm.
- Cockle Bay vs Next Generation at Cockle Bay Tennis Club, 6pm.
- Pakuranga vs Royal Oak at Royal Oak Racquets Club, 6pm.