Storage sheds Blaze: Fire affects local businessman

A fire in the early hours of Monday at Safe Store Storage Pakuranga in Harris Rd, East Tamaki left a local businessman’s antique collection decimated.

Ted Waters, owner of the popular Apothecary restaurant in Howick, heard about the flames engulfing the facility from his wife who saw the fire on the news.

According to a Fire & Emergency Northern Communications spokesperson, 15 pumps were employed at the height of the blaze, helped by aerial support and a command unit. By Monday afternoon, one appliance remained at the scene turning over debris and containing hotspots.

Ted Waters’ storage shed full of antiques was mostly destroyed by fire. Photo supplied

Waters estimates his loss at about $70,000. He believes the incident is starting to look more like arson, and he has been asked by Police to provide an impact statement.

Two fire investigators were on-site conducting inquiries as to the fire’s origin. Their investigation is on-going. Police also attended the scene, largely for traffic control purposes.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.