Two people charged over the death of east Auckland teenager Connor Boyd will go on trial next year.
Boyd, 18, was injured in Auckland’s CBD at about 2.35am on April 24.
Police said in a statement at the time the incident happened near the intersection of Customs Street East and Commerce Street and involved a vehicle and a pedestrian.
The vehicle involved left the scene but was later located by police.
Boyd, who was the pedestrian, suffered critical injuries.
He was taken to Auckland City Hospital but tragically died there on April 27.
Following the incident, Auckland City Police detective senior sergeant Steve Salton publicly announced a man and a woman, both aged 18, had been charged with manslaughter in connection with Boyd’s death.
The woman has also been charged with three counts of assault.
The pair were due to appear in the Auckland District Court on April 29.
“While police have laid charges over this matter, we would still like to hear from anyone who witnessed the incident or the lead up to it,” Salton said.
“Police would particularly appeal to anyone in the area with video or dashcam footage to come forward.”
Following Boyd’s death, an online fundraising page created to help pay for his funeral costs and other expenses raised more than $23,000 from 271 donors.
“Connor was a very social lad and full of life,” the page says.
“He had a passion for football and Liverpool [football club] and grew up in east Auckland playing at Fencibles [United AFC] football club.
“He loved hanging out with his mates but most of all he loved his family.”
Boyd attended Botany Downs Secondary College and left the school in 2017.
Principal Karen Brinsden says: “Connor was well liked and respected by his friends at school.
“He left BDSC at the end of year 12 to study at NZMA to pursue his interest in the trades.”
One of his best friends, Hakam Malla, told the Times he and Boyd both loved their cars, especially BMWs.
“Connor and I never argued. Not once. We were always on good terms.
“He would always be there for me and always help me out with anything and I’d always do the same for him.
“He’d call me and ask me for something but it never bothered me one bit because he’d do the exact same [for me].
“It’s going to be hard not being able to get a phone call from him asking me to go for a cruise, [saying he] needs a drill bit, or just needs help putting his front bumper back [on]. I’m going to miss him.”
The two teenagers charged in relation to Boyd’s death appeared in the Auckland High Court on May 18.
They pleaded not guilty and have been granted name suppression.
They’re set to go on trial in October 2023.