Today we are reporting 5690 community cases (5662 yesterday), 514 hospitalisations and 10 deaths.
Today’s seven-day rolling average of cases is 8355, while the seven-day rolling average of cases as at last Monday was 7986.
Today we are sadly reporting the deaths of 10 people with Covid-19. The deaths being reported today include people who have died over the past three days. Delays to reporting can be associated with people dying with Covid-19, rather than from Covid-19 and Covid being discovered only after they have died.
Note that one of the deaths previously reported of a child under 9 years of age has now been assessed as one where Covid-19 is not a contributing factor, and this death has now been removed from our tally.
These deaths take the total number of publicly reported deaths with Covid-19 to 683 and the 7-day rolling average of reported deaths is 12.
Of the people whose deaths we are reporting today, one person was from the Auckland region; one from Counties Manukau; two from Waikato; one from Hawkes Bay; one from MidCentral; one from Whanganui; one from the Wairarapa; one from Canterbury and one from Southern.
One person was in their 40s; one was in their 60s; two were in their 70s; five were in their 80s and one person was over 90.
Three were male and seven were female.
This is a very sad time for whanau and friends and our thoughts and condolences are with them.
Out of respect we will be making no further comment.
Vaccinations administered in New Zealand
- Vaccines administered to date: 4,026,410 first doses; 3,977,455 second doses; 31,724 third primary doses; 2,622,034 booster doses: 260,986 paediatric first doses and 110,480 paediatric second doses
- Vaccines administered yesterday: 7 first doses; 35 second doses; 1 third primary doses; 580 booster doses; 47 paediatric first doses and 453 paediatric second doses
- All Ethnicities (percentage of eligible people aged 12+): 4,056,187 first dose (96.4%); 4,006,618 second dose (95.2%), 2,618,574 boosted (71.1% of those eligible)
- Māori (percentage of eligible people aged 12+): 520,913 first dose (91.2%); 503,903 second dose (88.2%), 233,642 boosted (55% of those eligible)
- Pacific Peoples (percentage of eligible people aged 12+): 281,801 first dose (98.3%); 276,885 second dose (96.6%), 139,279 boosted (57.1% of those eligible)
- 5 to 11-year-olds all ethnicities: 258,368 first dose (54.2%); 107,915 second dose (22.7%)
- 5 to 11-year-olds – Māori: 40,735 first dose (35.2%); 12,235 second dose (10.6%)
- 5 to 11-year-olds – Pacific Peoples: 23,421 first dose (47.4%); 6045 second dose (12.2%)
Note that the number for “People vaccinated” differs slightly from “Vaccines administered” as it includes those that have been vaccinated overseas.
Vaccination rates for all DHBs*
- Northland DHB: first dose (90.1%); second dose (88%); boosted (67.8%)
- Auckland DHB: first dose (99.2%); second dose (98.3%); boosted (72.8%)
- Counties Manukau DHB: first dose (96.2%); second dose (95%); boosted (65.9%)
- Waitemata DHB: first dose (96.5%); second dose (95.6%); boosted (70.7%)
- Waikato DHB: first dose (95.1%); second dose (93.6%); boosted (66.7%)
- Bay of Plenty DHB: first dose (95.1%); second dose (93.4%); boosted (66.1%)
- Lakes DHB: first dose (93.2%); second dose (91.4%); boosted (66.5%)
- MidCentral DHB: first dose (96.4%); second dose (95.2%); boosted (72.2%)
- Tairāwhiti DHB: first dose (93.2%); second dose (91%); boosted (66.1%)
- Whanganui DHB: first dose (91.9%); second dose (90.4%); boosted (71.6%)
- Hawke’s Bay DHB: first dose (97.2%); second dose (95.6%); boosted (69.9%)
- Taranaki DHB: first dose (94.6%); second dose (93.3%); boosted (68.2%)
- Wairarapa DHB: first dose (96.5%); second dose (95%); boosted (73%)
- Capital & Coast DHB: first dose (98.5%); second dose (97.8%); boosted (79.4%)
- Hutt Valley DHB: first dose (96.6%); second dose (95.7%); boosted (75%)
- Nelson Marlborough DHB: first dose (96.4%); second dose (95.2%); boosted (73.5%)
- West Coast DHB: first dose (92.7%); second dose (91.3%); boosted (71.7%)
- Canterbury DHB: first dose (99.7%); second dose (98.8%); boosted (74.5%)
- South Canterbury DHB: first dose (94.7%); second dose (93.7%); boosted (74.6%)
- Southern DHB: first dose (98.5%); second dose (97.4%); boosted (73.3%)
*Partially and second doses percentages are for those 12+. Boosted percentages are for 18+ who have become eligible 3 months after having their second dose or 16 and 17 year olds who have become eligible 6 months after having their second dose.
Percentages are based on 2020 HSU data – a health-specific population denominator. As the population continues to change over time, coverage rates can exceed 100%.
- Cases in hospital: total number 514: Northland: 43; Waitemata: 77; Counties Manukau: 71; Auckland: 88; Waikato: 34; Bay of Plenty: 27; Lakes: 4; Tairāwhiti: 2, Hawke’s Bay: 11; Taranaki: 8; Whanganui: 4; MidCentral: 2; Wairarapa: 5; Hutt Valley: 13; Capital and Coast: 9; Nelson Marlborough: 9; Canterbury: 68; South Canterbury: 6; West Coast: 1; Southern: 32
- Cases in ICU or HDU: 18
- Vaccination status of current hospitalisations (Northern Region only, excluding Emergency Departments): Unvaccinated or not eligible (46 cases / 17.3%); partially immunised <7 days from second dose or have only received one dose (8 cases / 3%); double vaccinated at least 7 days before being reported as a case (75 cases / 28.2%); Received booster at least 7 days before being reported as a case (129 cases / 48.5%); unknown (8 cases / 3%).
- Average age of current hospitalisations: 61
- Seven day rolling average of community cases: 8355
- Seven day rolling average (as at Monday last week): 7986
- Number of new community cases: 5690
- Number of new community cases (PCR): 154
- Number of new community cases (RAT): 5536
- Location of new community cases (PCR & RAT): Northland (174), Auckland region (1467), Waikato (361), Bay of Plenty (199), Lakes (95), Hawke’s Bay (199), MidCentral (234), Whanganui (75), Taranaki (139), Tairāwhiti (56), Wairarapa (55), Capital and Coast (348), Hutt Valley (148), Nelson Marlborough (177), Canterbury (1013), South Canterbury (112), Southern (766), West Coast (70), Unknown (2)
- Number of new cases identified at the border: 57
- Number of active community cases (total): 58,458 (cases identified in the past 7 days and not yet classified as recovered)
- Confirmed cases (total): 887,205
Please note, the Ministry of Health’s daily reported cases may differ slightly from those reported at a DHB or local public health unit level. This is because of different reporting cut off times and the assignment of cases between regions, for example when a case is tested outside their usual region of residence. Total numbers will always be the formal daily case tally as reported to the WHO.
- Number of PCR tests total (last 24 hours): 1312
- Number of Rapid Antigen Tests reported total (last 24 hours): 9991
- PCR tests rolling average (last 7 days): 2119
- Number of Rapid Antigen Tests dispatched (last 7 days as of 22 April 2022): 629,000. (Please note that this number is not updated over the weekend and reflects the number of tests as of Friday).